Friday 8 November 2013

NYX Depotted Eyeshadow Palette

Depot NYX Eyeshadow

I wanted to share with you the NYX eyeshadows that I own while the sale at Cherry Culture is still on, see my post (here).  

I'm going to discuss with you how I made this palette and pressed these eyeshadows, but if you are only interested in the swatches you can scroll down.

I was tired of having all eighteen eyeshadows in the separate containers/trios they came in and found that I never really reached for them because of it. 

pressed eyeshadow palette
My Pressed NYX Eyeshadow Palette - I placed a rub on design and used the NYX word from the sticker on the back of one of the eyeshadows.


I originally decided to depot/remove the pans and stick them in a palette that I bought from Ebay (here).  But the NYX eyeshadow pans from the trios didn't work with the magnetic palette.  I decided to use the pans that it came with as they were magnetic and press the eyeshadows.

I finely crushed up the eyeshadow in the pans with a clean metal nail file and placed half of the shadow into the magnetic pan.  I then mixed in a few drops of Clinique toner (it's mostly alcohol, you could use rubbing alcohol) as it was what I had at the time and mixed up a paste of the toner and shadow.  I then took an old clean t-shirt, wrapped tightly around one of the magnetic pans (you could use a coin that fits the pan (26mm), put a few drops of toner on the shirt and pressed down firmly.

This packs the eyeshadow in, imprints it with a textured design and the alcohol then disappears leaving just the eyeshadow.   I let that dry (a few hours) and repeated the process.  I did it by halves so that the bottom of the pan was packed firmly as well as the top, this means it's less likely to shatter.  I let them dry overnight.



This palette only came with twelve pans and slots (hee hee).  I had bought a few palettes so I used the pans from those, but you can also buy extra pans.  I removed the foam inlay so that I could fit eighteen shadows, it just peeled away pretty easily.  

I kept a list of each colour and arranged them in the palette.  I used round label/sticky dots and wrote on every colour. 


It does take time and effort but I think it's worth it.  It saves so much space and they are all in one place.  I prefer this method to depotting.   Usually with removing the pans there is heat involved and you can damage the shadows and end up fixing them like this anyway.

Now for the swatches: 
First Row

My favourites from this row are Nude & Platinum Pink. 

Second Row

My favourites from this row are True Taupe & Volcano.

Third Row

My favourites from this row include Red Bean Pie, Eggplant & Burgundy Pearl. 

Fourth Row

My favourites from this row include Deep Purple & Morocco. 

I hope you've found this post helpful.  
If I can answer any questions please comment below or contact me here.
I'd love to see your DIY palettes and projects too.

What would you like to try from NYX?

Enjoy your weekend! :)


1 comment: