Tuesday 8 October 2013

$5 MAC Rebel Lipstick Dupe!


Hey guys!  On the weekend I found myself in Kmart and made a beeline to the cosmetics as every makeup junkie does.  I saw that they had all Rimmel Lasting Finish lipsticks on special for $5.00 (this special ends on the 16th of October 2013. Usual price $9-$12).  Rimmel lipsticks are one of my favourites so there was no way that one of them wasn't coming home with me!

I scanned the available colours and decided on #120 Cutting Edge a beautiful dark berry shade.  I arrived home, applied it and thought "this reminds me of my MAC Rebel lipstick!"  I quickly grabbed my MAC lipstick and swatched them.


Rimmel Cutting Edge

As you can see by the swatches on my arm, the Rimmel lipstick is obviously darker, however, it is a different story when applied on the lips. 


I applied each lipstick on half of my lips and noticed that the Rimmel one is slightly darker (more noticeable in person).  I then blotted the Rimmel side of my Frankenstein lips with a tissue to take off the excess and sheer the colour.  The results... 


They are exact! You cannot tell that I was wearing two different lipsticks like some kind of crazy mofo!  So the colour is right but what about the application, the formula and the longevity?  Here are my personal experiences: 
  • Formula: The MAC lipstick is slightly creamier and feels a little smoother, softer and less drying on the lips.  I don't find the Rimmel one drying though, it's just not as creamy as Rebel, but still feels comfortable on the lips.  The MAC Rebel lipstick is a satin finish which is opaque with a glossy finish, as you can see by the photos, and the Rimmel lipstick has the same finish. 
  • Longevity & Wear: They both last about 3-4 hours, less if eating/drinking.  They both stain the lips so the colour fades but still leaves sheer colour on the lips.  Rebel wears a little darker for longer but both seem to fade evenly (keep in mind I did blot the Rimmel to get the same colour). 

  • Price: Your pocket will notice more difference than your lips.  MAC Rebel: $36.00 (3.0 grams) and I paid $5 for the Rimmel (4.0 grams).  Rimmel lipsticks are usually anywhere from $9.00 - $12.00 depending on where you buy them and current specials, etc.  So even at the highest price for Rimmel, MAC is three times the price. 
  • Verdict: I would buy the Rimmel.  The differences are so slight that I don't think that it is worth the extra money. 
If you're a MAC Rebel fan or have been wanting to try it and see what it looks like with your skin tone, I recommend trying Rimmel Cutting Edge lipstick.  

What's your favourite Rimmel Lipstick?  Have you found any good dupes lately? 





No comments:

Post a Comment