Tuesday 15 October 2013

Makeup Remover Wipes - How much money are you throwing away?

Image created by Mel for littleblacklipstick ©

A few years ago I purchased makeup remover wipes about once a month.  I tried different brands at different price points and then settled on the Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes, Night Calming 25 pack, these were the ones that were said to remove waterproof mascara.  I found that, for me, they did the best job of removing my makeup but they didn't remove everything. I would still follow up with a cleanser.  


After several months of this I started to realise just how quickly I would go through them and how expensive they were.  I knew that there had to be a cheaper alternative out there, shortly after I attended a makeup class where the artist said that she used baby wipes to remove makeup.  Why hadn't I thought of this before?  I purchased the fragrance/alcohol free Mamia Baby Wipes 80 pack from Aldi and I haven't looked back.  The wipes are dermatologically tested and contain aloe vera and vitamin E.


Mamia Baby Wipes from Aldi 
They do a decent job at removing the bulk of my makeup just like any other makeup wipe, they may not be as good as the Neutrogena but I still follow up with a cleanser as I don't think any makeup wipe will ever remove every last trace of makeup and cleanse my pores.  If I'm wearing heavier eye makeup with gel eyeliner, lashes and waterproof mascara I also use an eye makeup remover or a natural oil like evening primrose oil to remove before cleansing, just as I used to even with makeup remover wipes.  

I thought I'd do a little price breakdown comparison for you so you can see why I stopped using makeup remover wipes and hopefully save you some money also.  I'll be comparing the Neutrogena Makeup Remover wipes from Priceline here and the Mamia Baby Wipes from Aldi here.

Neutrogena Makeup Remover Wipes Price $116.65 per year
Quantity: 25
Price: $7.99 (Average price as per Priceline website at the current time and not including specials)
Price per wipe: (7.99 / 25) $0.3196 (31 cents)
Total annual cost: (if used once per day) (0.3196 x 365)  $116.65 per year

Mamia Baby Wipes Price $11.36 per year
Quantity: 80
Price: $2.49 (Current price as per Aldi website not including specials.  These can be bought in bulk boxes) 
Price per wipe: (2.49 / 80) $0.031125 (3 cents) 
Total annual cost: (if used once per day) (0.031125 x 365) $11.36 per year

Okay so I know that you are probably not going to use one wipe every single day of the year but it's just for a general calculation.  Can you believe the difference though? I was shocked when I did these calculations, and yes, I had to check it several times because I couldn't believe it!

At $2.49 I would recommend at least giving the Mamia baby wipes a go.  
What makeup wipes do you use? 
Do you use baby wipes? Why/Why not?









8 comments:

  1. I will try these for sure! Though I haven't been cleansing. Do you think I should be cleansing daily if I am wearing make up everyday? I have heard cleansing everyday isn't so good for your skin? *confused*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, let me know how you go! I don't think that makeup wipes remove everything so I think that it is important to cleanse to remove all of the makeup residue. I always try to find cleansers with more natural ingredients that aren't as harsh on the skin. But it's all about what works for your skin and for you so if wipes are working for you and you aren't getting any breakouts, that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that makeup remover wipes don't really remove eveerything but they're so handy to have, specially on nights when I'm so knackered I just want to sleep.

    I've tried using these as face wipes before but it broke me out :( So glad that this works so well for you. Aldi sure has some awesome bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are handy to have and I must admit that I have been known to use only these on big nights out before bed. Sorry they broke you out :( Hopefully you can find a more inexpensive brand of wipes that don't break you out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the aldi wipes!! they really do get the make up off and are nice and cheap... I use them to get the zinc off my face after a big surf. it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great aren't they! Glad you like them too. :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much! That did the trick, you saved me more endless hours of searching for a fix.

    Makeup Removing Cleanser

    ReplyDelete